Monday, September 8, 2008

The Worst Day of Kate's Life

Kate has been on earth 1216 days so far. I think most of them have been pretty great. She has an awesome dad, a mom who tries hard not to be too crazy, a big brother who adores her, and a baby sister who hasn't made up her mind about her yet, but tries hard each day to like her. Her room is painted her favorite color (pink) she has just about the most gorgeous hair I have seen on anyone (adults included) and she has a great personality. She really has a lot going for her, but today rates as the worst day ever in Kate's life. Here's why: Kate is great at going potty as long as she never has to go #2. We have struggled with this for a long time. No incentives or punishments work for her, because she just doesn't care. So, preschool has started. We all know that you can't go to preschool unless you are potty trained. So, even though Kate's teacher is also her mom, and even though Kate's preschool is at our house (for anyone who doesn't know, I started my own preschool this year and we converted a portion of our garage to a preschool. I have 8 darling kids three mornings a week...) you still can't go to preschool if you are not potty trained. We kept telling Kate this before preschool started and she was doing very well. Just an accident here or there. Then, preschool started last week. She started having lots of accidents and basically refusing to go potty. She figured that since she was potty trained so she could start preschool, she didn't have to worry about it once school actually started. Ben and I told her all weekend that she couldn't go to preschool on Monday if she didn't go potty. She still kept having accidents. So, this morning Conner went to Kindergarten, I went to teach preschool, and Kate had to stay with her dad all morning while he worked. She was allowed to either sit in the chair in our bedroom, or sit on the toilet. She cried for two hours, and pouted for an additional 45 minutes. While I was outside with my preschoolers she gazed down at us from my bedroom window with big puppy dog eyes. She was absolutely crushed! It didn't help that our beautiful, but very clumsy, Kate fell on her way back from dropping Conner off at Kindergarten and banged up her face and knee. But, on the bright side she only had one accident all day. Hopefully she will do even better tomorrow so that she can go to preschool on Wednesday. So, the moral of the story is that sometimes you have to be a mean parent... even if it hurts you even more than it hurts them. Advice anyone?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crystal I don't know if you remember but the same thing happened to me when me and Wes started preschool. Dad says I was a unhappy little guy that day myself. Perhaps it runs in the family.

Windybrook Spinner said...

E has just barely potty trained and it's still fairly tenative and she is 3 3/4 years old. So much for "girls are easier to potty train." Ha! Not in my experience. I don't have any advice, but I do think you did the right thing. I so would never want to be 3 years old again. E's preschool teacher said she could come in pull-up's so that took a lot of the pressure off and a couple of days ago she just decided she wanted to wear panties. Just like that. I'm beginning to wonder how much influence I really have as a parent.

Floyd Family said...

Welcome to the "Meanest Mom Club"! Way to go. It's hard to be mean, but I promise that someday you and Kate will be glad you were!

Emily said...

That picture of Kate is priceless! Poor Kate and poor you! You did a good job being firm but I know it's so hard to do, especially when they bring out the puppy dog eyes - and with Kate's darling little face, it makes it even harder! Why do they have to be so stubborn sometimes? I'm totally sold on coming to Boise, especially if you're cooking up Mexican...and my girls need some ninja skills!

Hodges Family said...

I love to hear stories about kate. I think you did the right thing my sister struggles with the same thing with her little girl. Maybe it is a girl thing!

Cassy said...

Poor thing! But at least you didn't cave to the puppy-dog face, that's the worst!

Ray said...

that is the saddest thing ever! but you did great, even though it doesn't feel great... i agree with cayenne though, sometimes i really don't know how much we really affect what our kids do - they definitely have minds of their own!